Thursday, July 15, 2010

Training for the Half Marathon

Sometime in the first week of May, I decided to look back on my January resolutions and see whether I've managed to accomplish anything a quarter into the new year. That was a bad idea because as it turned out, I hadn't accomplished anything. (To be fair, I had foolishly written down 10 resolutions for 2010, which Mike had rightly judged as "unrealistic".)

Anyway, to make myself feel better, I decided that I had to cross off at least one thing, and I had to do it right away. I have no idea why I thought "Run a half marathon" was the thing that I should get on with--seeing as I wasn't even entirely sure about it when I wrote it down in the first place--but Mike went to work devising a training program in Excel and we bought new running shoes that weekend and started running the next day.

I am not a runner; there was a time when I despised running and could barely keep moving for 15 minutes without struggling. 

But sometime last spring when I figured out that I didn't want to eat less and had to lose weight some other way, I signed up for the Oxford Town & Gown 10K run with a group of other people at work. Poor Amanda had agreed to be my running buddy without fully realizing what she'd gotten herself into. Three months of whining and complaining later, we took on the cobbled streets of Oxford city centre and finished our 10K run in just under an hour (in the rain, of course, typical English style) and rewarded ourselves with G&D's ice cream afterwards. 

Since then, other than the occasional today-is-Monday-so-I-should-seriously-start-exercising-and-dieting-again moments, I basically stopped running.

Now, 10 weeks into the training, we finally got back up to the 10K mark on Tuesday. It wasn't too terrible, actually, but this time I knew it wasn't the end. According to "The Schedule", we've got to keep running 5 days a week, and hit a big one (10-19km) every weekend. For the next 10 weeks. 

Then, at 7:30am on Sunday, September 26th, we head down to City Hall and run the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Half Marathon. I feel a bit ill just thinking about it. 

Why couldn't I have just picked "Paint a painting" instead?

No comments:

Post a Comment