Monday, July 19, 2010

Toronto Public Library

I love libraries, it's the inner geek in me--ok, some people might argue the term "inner"--but libraries are cool, seriously! Shelves and shelves of beautiful books, all properly categorized and alphabetized? Come on, as if you wouldn't want to spend a whole day there and just wonder (ok, some people might not want to).

The Toronto Public Library is the best library we've ever used. With 99 branches in the GTA, it is the largest library system in North America. We're about a 10 minute walk away from the North York Central Library, which has six floors and is the second largest library in the city next to the Toronto Reference Library.

My two favourite things about the Toronto library system:

1. They have a vast collection of DVDs including films, TV series, and documentaries. I've borrowed loads of movies--many of which were brand new releases--and have even see a few Blu-Rays lying around. Why go to Blockbuster and pay $6.95 per rental when you can get it for free from the library down the street?!

2. You can go online and request for any item from the entire library collection to be delivered to your local branch from wherever it currently is. They will even e-mail you to let you know when it's ready for pick up.

I'm currently flipping through the beautiful Decorating with Flowers by Paula Pryke, fresh off the press and a new addition to the 2010 collection. Next up on my reading list: The Bro Code by Barney Stinson with Matt Kuhn (from the hilarious TV series, How I Met Your Mother), 500 Ideas for Small Spaces by Kimberley Seldon, and a bit later, New Resume New Career (*wink*). We've also got both Part 1 and Part 2 of Che with Benicio del Toro sitting by the DVD player.

To clarify, I'm not affiliated with the TPL in any way apart from being a happy user so this isn't a secret government campaign for literacy or anything--I don't even really read that much--I just think libraries are great. So, why not make a trip to your local library sometime, walk around, and maybe even check out a book or two? You never know what you (and your inner geek) might find! ;o)

1 comment:

  1. The library by my house is nice, but I can certainly get lost spending hours and hours at the Toronto Reference Library. I love finding inspiration while flipping through back issues of magazines, and seeing how far they've come.

    www.erica-ec.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete